Saturday, July 25, 2015

Mama Said "Don't Touch!"


(He was protesting my taking his picture.)

     This is the result of not following mama's directions when she warns you that touching will give you an owie. 

     I was making a batch of soap and Collin came in to watch. "Mama making boap?"  I like to make everything from scratch, so my soap uses a lye solution mixed with oils.  I cannot fathom how many times I warned him.  He wasn't even trying to touch, but I kept telling him anyway.  

     The end of the process has to happen super quickly, so that I can get my swirls in before I sets up. In those hectic minutes Collin starts asking for a bandaid. There's raw soap batter on his fingers!

     I grab him and a barstool and rush him to the sink, and he puts his fingers in his mouth!  I flush everything with water and have him risin and spitting in the sink and Poison Control on the phone.  There weren't much help, but rinse a lot, give him Popsicles, and look for signs like vomiting and blisters. Then take him to the ER. 

     No blisters, no vomiting, lots of drooling. He has chemical burns on his lips, which are raw and swollen. His hands and face are fine.  Oh, and I feel like a shmuck for being angry at him for not following directions and simultaneously that I "let" him get hurt.

     Three year olds and mom guilt. Heck of a mix. I think we'll watch TV and kill some brain cells for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment