Thursday, June 19, 2014

Bath Time Used to be Fun

Once upon a time, Collin loved to take baths.  He loved water, he loved bubbles, he loved the colored tabs that turned the water bright colors, and the way it tickled when we washed him.

At some point, he decided that splashing was still fabulous.  Now, we've come to a point that you had better not dare get in the shower without taking him with you; but that does not mean you can wash him.

Washing is bad, but his hair is worse.  As soon as the first cup of water begins to pour the screaming starts.  Imagine what it's like to be the receiving party of a child's banshee-like screams in a small echoing bathroom?  It's less than exhilarating.  And when I'm trying to bathe the boys together, Collin gets Ethan so upset he spits up all over himself.

I am so tired of this epic battle with my slippery, screaming, offspring!  This last bath time, I took a deal bathed Ethan first and put him in bed.  And then took a deep breath.  And another.  And considered my sanity for a moment.  Or ten.  Then I started to wash my boy.  Slippery, and crying; and ever so kind as to wail directly into my ear.  But I maintained calm (outside at least), and talked to him.  In the most calming voice I could maintian, even when he cried to loud to hear myself, I kept talking to him.  I told him that we were getting washed, and that it was a good thing, and soon daddy would be home.  And as much as I wanted to, I didn't rush.  When you rush, excitement builds, and I didn't want to further excite this child.  I moved slowly, and rubbed the dirt off instead of frantically scrubbing.  And there was noticeable improvement!  He cried, not screamed.  He was upset, but he cooperated.  And when I pulled him out an wrapped him in a towl, he snuggled in my lap.  He probably peed on me, but it didn't care.

As much as I wish I could yell at him to behave himself, and for him to listen, we all know better.  It's ironic that your gut instinct to get louder and more excited is the worst thing possible to do in a situation.

Patience.  I need a lot more...

No comments:

Post a Comment